I usually don’t ask my clients to count their calories, but one thing I do get them to do is eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. Whether you are trying to maintain or lose weight you need to eat properly and often; ensuring you are getting enough calories to fuel your metabolism. Keeping your metabolism revved up, you will burn more calories. That is where the snacks come in. Once you begin to feel hungry, that is the cue from your body that you have waited too long to eat. At this point your body will probably begin to store calories to be used as energy. This is something you want to avoid.
To give you an idea of what kinds of snacks you are wanting to eat, here is a list of some healthy snacks that you can take with you where ever you go to keep you from feeling hungry.
- Half of a multigrain bagel with unsalted peanut or almond butter
- A scoop of dried whole grain cereal and add your own raisins and nuts
- A cup of plain popcorn
- Multi grain crackers with unsalted peanut or almond butter and some dried fruit
- Unsalted almonds and an apple
- Half a can of tuna in a whole grain pita
- 2 ounces of low-fat cheese and a half cup of berries
- Half a cup of low-fat cottage cheese with sliced banana or pineapple
- Baked sweet potato with non fat yogurt and fresh chives
- Yogurt mixed with granola, and mixed berries
- Crudite with fresh humus
You can come up with any combination you like to satisfy your appetite and hold you over until your next meal. Just make sure it has protein in it and has healthy fats as well. For best results, try to avoid anything processed. Anything you can make yourself, will be that much better for you. And most of all, have fun with it.